We are pleased to announce an exciting new alliance between Active Living Research and GP RED to co-host and coordinate...
Ready for Recess Dissemination
This research translation project will focus on the dissemination of Ready for Recess (R4R), a program that educates school staff about the importance of facilitating an environment conductive to children’s physical activity and provides methods to modify the environment to increase activity participation in recess. The major objective is to disseminate R4R to audiences that can support or implement policies/best practices for physical activity during recess (superintendents, principals, teachers, recess staff, and other non-profit youth development agencies). Groups that will be contacted include: Action for Healthy Kids, National School Boards Association, American School Health Association, American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation, National Association of Elementary School Principals, and National Parent Teacher Association.
Products and Dissemination Activities
- R4R logo and webpage for housing R4R materials.
- Two Webinars will be developed for the Webpage. One will incorporate information for an administrative audience focused on the importance of PA at recess and key findings from R4R. It will also provide suggestions for ways in which administrators can make simple policy changes at their school, as well as the importance of considering retaining recess and reallocating resources to staff training and recreational equipment. The second webinar will incorporate information for a front-line staff audience focused on the lessons learned from R4R and suggestions for best practices.
- Downloadable PDFs will be posted to the Webpage and promoted via social media. The PDFs will contain information that target audiences can use to remember best practices, overcome challenges, and access specific instructions about recess activities.
- YouTube videos will be created at school playgrounds to provide instructional scenarios for improving PA during recess. The videos will also include possible challenges and solutions to overcome those challenges.
- Social media pages will be created and used to improve awareness and engage audiences in ‘joining the conversation’ about implementing policies related to recess PA.
September 10, 2013: Ready for Recess: Changing Policy and Practice to Support Students' Physical Activity (Webinar hosted by Dialogue 4 Health)
September 17, 2013: Get Your School Ready for Recess (Webinar hosted by Dialogue 4 Health)
Visit the Ready for Recess Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube to stay up-to-date on the latest R4R information.
Related Tools & Resources
STAY UP TO DATE
RECENTLY ADDED TOOLS & RESOURCES
MOVE! A BLOG ABOUT ACTIVE LIVING
The "Active Living Conference" aims to break down research and practice silos and...